Founded in 2012 and recently named one of the nation’s fastest-growing private businesses by Inc. Magazine, RedShelf is a Chicago-based EdTech company helping to make education both more affordable and more effective through the use of digital instructional resources. Partnering with more than 400 publishers and 1,900 campuses nationwide, we provide leading-edge digital course materials and an end-to-end Content Delivery System for effortlessly distributing those materials.
The Senior Front-End Engineer is responsible for implementing front-end features, improving the experience of users on our platform, and improving the maintainability of the front-end codebase.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Deliver features, improvements, and refactoring projects for a large Ember.js code base
- Actively participate in the Agile Scrum practice each sprint by attending daily standups, project breakdown meetings, estimation meetings, and retrospective meetings
- Be an advocate for paying down technical debt and use development approaches that minimize the growth of new technical debt
- Coach junior members of your team in front-end development best practices and strategies to ensure they are continuously becoming better front-end developers
- Ensure that customer-facing UX is accessible to all supported devices and user accessibility needs (WCAG 2.0, Section 508, ADA, etc)
- Be a strong example for junior team members on development leadership and quality technical decision making
- 5+ years of software development experience
- 2+ years of experience maintaining the front-end of a complex, product-focused codebase.
- Proven track record of building successful front-end applications, products, or platforms
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
Other Desirable Skills/Experience:
- Experience working in the higher education and/or publishing
- Experience building ADA-compliant or WCAG 2.0-compliant interfaces
- Knowledge and appreciation of the advances in higher educational software, course materials, and digital publishing is a plus
- Background and/or experience in educational technology and/or publishing
- Comfort and/or experience in a fast-paced, growing environment
- Ideal candidate is self-sufficient and highly motivated, self-directed and possess high energy and a passion for RedShelf
RedShelf prides itself on maintaining an informal but fast-moving, hard-working, entrepreneurial culture. Our team members are smart, innovative, and passionate about improving education through digital technology.
We offer the best of both worlds: the energy and opportunity of a rapidly-growing organization, coupled with the stability of an extensive client base, strong financial backing, and proven track record of success. In addition to a forward-thinking environment with ample opportunity for professional and personal growth, our team members enjoy competitive compensation and benefit packages.
RedShelf is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with a disability, veterans, and others who would enrich the diversity of RedShelf are encouraged to apply.