Founded in 2012 and recently named one of the nation’s fastest-growing private businesses by Inc. Magazine, RedShelf is a Chicago-based EdTech company helping to make education both more affordable and more effective through the use of digital instructional resources. Partnering with more than 400 publishers and 1,900 campuses nationwide, we provide leading-edge digital course materials and an end-to-end Content Delivery System for effortlessly distributing those materials.
The Full Stack Engineer that will be responsible for implementing features and maintenance of our award winning EdTech platform. Utilizing Django Rest Framework and Ember.js the developer will contribute to our content delivery system; subsequently advancing our goal of lowering student costs and improving student grades through our content delivery system.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the evolution of our Django Rest Framework based API and Ember.js based user interface.
- Actively participate in daily standups, project breakdown meetings, estimation meetings, and retrospective meetings.
- Act as an advocate for our users by reviewing incoming bug reports and feature requests.
- Work with our A11y team to ensure that our platform meets accessibility requirements (WCAG 2.0, Section 508, ADA, etc).
- Work with product, QA and UX teams to plan and develop features through the SDLC process.
- Be an advocate for best practices, development strategies, and new software packages that can advance our software platform.
- Ensure that all members of the development team are continuously improving our codebase and advancing their software development skills.
- Be a strong example for junior team members on development leadership and quality technical decision making
- 3+ years of full stack development experience
- 2+ years working with complex RESTful APIs; graphQL experience is a plus.
- Proven track record of building successful full-stack applications, products, or platforms
- Ability to have tough conversations
- Must be a good citizen of the company and always be willing to help in any way
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
Other Desirable Skills/Experience:
- Familiarity with modern accessibility options, and experience building ADA-compliant or WCAG 2.0-compliant interfaces. Human-Computer Interface experience is a plus.
- Participation in the development community; such as meetups or open source contributions.
- Knowledge and appreciation of the advances in higher educational software, course materials, and digital publishing is a plus.
- Background and/or experience in educational technology and/or publishing
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, growing environment where change is likely, but delivering high-quality code on time is critical.
RedShelf prides itself on maintaining an informal but fast-moving, hard-working, entrepreneurial culture. Our team members are smart, innovative, and passionate about improving education through digital technology.
We offer the best of both worlds: the energy and opportunity of a rapidly-growing organization, coupled with the stability of an extensive client base, strong financial backing, and proven track record of success. In addition to a forward-thinking environment with ample opportunity for professional and personal growth, our team members enjoy competitive compensation and benefit packages, including company stock options.
RedShelf is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with a disability, veterans, and others who would enrich the diversity of RedShelf are encouraged to apply.